Technical Specification for Earthwork as per MORTH 5th Revision Section 300
These Technical specification shall apply to the construction of embankment including sub grades, earthen shoulder and miscellaneous backfills.
- In Backfilling the compacted thickness of each layer shall not be more than 150 mm.
- The compacted thickness of each layer for embankment shall not be more than 250 mm when vibratory roller is used and not more than 200 mm when 80-100 kn static roller is used.
- The maximum size of material should not exceed 75mm for embankment and 50mm for Subgrade, In such cases it shall not more than two third of the compacted layer thickness.
- The minimum density requirement for embankment material is – 1.52 gm/cc for upto 3m heigh and 1.60 gm/cc for more than 3m height.
- The minimum density requirement for subgrade/ Earthen shoulder / Backfill material is 1.75 gm/cc
- The materials “liquid limit” and “plasticity index” should not exceed 50% and 25%.
- The materials “free swell index” should not more than 50%.
- The maximum depth of the Borrow pit should not exceed 1.5m.
- The minimum compaction requirement- for Subgrade/ shoulders is 97% and for embankment 95% min.
- The moisture content of each layer at the time of compaction test is acceptable in range of 1% above to 2% below of OMC (from MDD).
- Civil Engineering Interview Questions |Cement
- Difference Between Flexible Pavement and Rigid Pavement
- What are the Properties of a good bituminous mix in highway Engineering
Founder & Admin of civilengineeringsolution.com, I am a civil engineer working as a Assistant Engineer (QA/QC).