Method of moisture content test of soil by oven drying method
The water content of soil is described as the ratio of the mass of wet soil to the dry soil. The weight of water is determined by the difference before and after drying the soil by oven dryng method. Method of Moisture content of soil :
Test standard: IS 2720-Part -2: 1973
Test Appratus :
- Non-corrodible airtight container
- Weighing balance
- Hot air oven
Test appratus :
- Clean and dry the airtight container and note its weight.
- Take the soil sample, crumble, loose, and place it in the container. The quantity of samples depends on the size of particles as given in the below table.
- Now note down the combined weight of the soil sample and container with lid.
- Remove the lid and keep it in an oven for 24 hours at 110±5 0C.
- After 24 hours, take out the container from the oven and record its weight with lid.
Water content (%) = [(Weight of soil before drying– weight of soil after drying)/ (Weight of the soil after drying) ]x 100
The minimum weights of sample required for the determination of moisture content:
|Material passing IS sieve by 90%||Minimum quantity of sample to be taken (gm)|
Read more :
- Determination of Specific gravity of soil
- Determine the liquid limit and plasticity index of soil by casagrande apparatus
- Shrinkage limit test of soil | Laboratory Soil testing
- Moisture content by Rapid moisture meter
Founder & Admin of civilengineeringsolution.com, I am a civil engineer working as a Assistant Engineer (QA/QC).