Sieve analysis of aggregate IS 2386-Part 1
Test Standard : IS 2386-Part 1
Test Apparatus :
- Balance of accuracy 0.1%
- IS sieves 63mm, 40mm, 20mm, 12.5mm, 10mm, 4.75mm, 2.36mm, 1.18mm, 600µ, 300µ, 150µ and 75µ.
Test Procedure :
- Take a representative air-dried sample by quartering method or by a sample driver. Record its weight before sieving (i.e M, gms).
- Sieve the samples successively on the appropriate sieves starting from the largest. Shake each sieve separately on a clean tray until not more than a trace passes, but in any case for a period of not less than two minutes.
- The sieving shall be done backward, forward, circular, clockwise and anti-clockwise with frequent jarring, so that the material kept on the sieve frequently changes its direction.
- Material shall not be forced through the sieve by hand pressure, but on sieves coarser than 20mm, placing of particles is permitted. Lumps of fine material present can be broken by gentle pressure by hand. Fine camel hairbrush may be used to clean the underside of the IS sieve 150 & 75microns
- Weigh the material retained on the each sieve together with the material cleaned from the mesh & record ( i.e M1, M2, M3, M4….gms)
Result Calculation :
% Retained on each sieve=Cum % passing on each sieve = The cumulative % of passing on each sieve shall then be calculated & reported to 0.1%.
Minimum weights of sample for sieve analysis is given below:
Test format of Sieve analysis test of aggregate Coarse Aggregate:
Read more :
- Method Abrasion value test of aggregate
- Method of Impact value test of aggregate
- Method of ten Percent fine value of Coarse Aggregate
- Method of crushing value test of aggregate
Founder & Admin of civilengineeringsolution.com, I am a civil engineer working as a Assistant Engineer (QA/QC).