Method of crushing value test of aggregate. Aggregate crushing value of coarse aggregates gives a relative measure of the resistance of an aggregate crushing under gradually applied compressive load.
Test Standard : IS 2386-Part IV: 1963
Test Apparatus for crushing value test of aggregate
- Open-ended cylinder with the base plate of 15cm diameter & plunger
- Cylindrical metal measure of diameter 11.5cm & height 18.0cm,
- IS Sieves 12.5mm, 10mm & 2.36mm
- Compression testing machine capable of applying a load of 40T
- Tamping rod of 16mm diameter & 45 to 60 cm long rounded at one end,
- weighing balance
Test Procedure :
- Prepared test sample by passing the aggregate from 12.5mm IS sieve and retained on 10 mm IS Sieve.
- Take representative quantity of the sample of aggregate by quartering method.
- The test sample shall be tested in SSD Condition.
- Fill the sample in the cylindrical metal measure in three layers with 25 numbers of tamping in each layer. The quantity of aggregate shall be such that the depth of material in the cylinder after tamping shall be 10ccm.
- Note the net weight of the test sample from cylindrical metal measure ( W1, gms)
- The Open-ended cylinder put in position on the base plate and the test sample shall be added in three layers with 25numbers of strokes in each layer and level the surface of the aggregate
- Put the plunger in the mould and placed in the compression testing machine.
- The load shall be applied uniformly so that the total load of 40T is reached in 10 minutes.
- The load shall be released & the whole of the test sample shall be removed from the cylinder and sieve with 2.36mm IS Sieve.
- The passing sample shall be weighed ( W2, gms).
Aggregate crushing Value = (W2/W1) x 100
- Method Abrasion value test
- Method of Impact value test
- Method of ten Percent fine value of Coarse Aggregate
Founder & Admin of civilengineeringsolution.com, I am a civil engineer working as a Assistant Engineer (QA/QC).