Los Angeles abrasion value Test of aggregate
Test Standard : IS 2386-Part 4
Test Apparatus :
- Los Angeles test apparatus
- IS Sieve 80mm, 63mm, 50mm, 40mm, 25mm, 20mm, 12.5mm, 10mm, 6.3mm, 4.75mm, 2.36mm, 1.70mm,
- Cast iron spheres or steel spheres approximately 48mm in diameter & each weighing between 390-445gms
- Hot air electric oven.
Test Procedure for Abrasion value Test :
- Take sample of aggregate by quartering method. (say W1, gms) Test sample shall consists of clean aggregates dried in oven 105 to 110 degree celsius.
- The test sample & abrasive charge shall be placed in Los Angeles abrasion machine & it is rotated at a speed of 20 to 33 rev/min.
- The machine shall be rotated for 500 revolutions & 1000 revolutions for Gradings A, B, C, D & E, F, G respectively.
- After the completion of the test, material shall be sieved on a IS sieve coarser than 1.70mm & the finer portion shall then be sieved over 1.70mm IS Sieve. The material coarser than 1.70mm IS Sieve shall be washed dried in an oven at 105 to 110 C & accurately weight to nearest (say W2, gms
Sample weight shall conform to one of the grading zone shown below:
|Los Angeles Abrasion test|
The abrasive charge based upon the grading of the test sample :
|Los Angeles Abrasion Test
Abration value = ( (W1 – W2)/ W1)x100
Test limit : Max = 30 % for wearing surface & 60% for Non wearing surface as per lS: 383
Test Format :
|Test format of los angeles abrasion test of aggregate|
Founder & Admin of civilengineeringsolution.com, I am a civil engineer working as a Assistant Engineer (QA/QC).